ORLANDO, Fla. — Earth Day was originally initiated as an environmental movement in the 70’s, where 20 million Americans went out to the streets protesting for a better and healthier environment. April 22 is a special date for all countries around the world to reflect about protecting our planet, and we owe an increased awareness among the general population to these type of events, but still there is a lot more to be done regarding pollution, animals, plants and the overall environment.
The United Nations recognize that Earth and its echosystems are home for humans, they are also convinced that if we want to maintain a balance between the economic, social and environmental needs of our present and future generations, it will be necessary to promote harmony between nature and our planet Earth. That is the reason why they decided to designate the date, April 22nd, as the “International Earth Day.”
Every year, over 1000 million people from 190 countries participate in this opportunity to increase awareness about the needs of our planet to continue its healthy sustainability.
The following are just a few tips to contribute to its preservation.
1. Use every opportunity to recommend the use of LED and low energy consumption light bulbs. This is a simple and very inexpensive adjustment you can do right away and tell your friends. Nowadays, even the dollar stores have some options available, so basically there’s no excuse.
2. Explore the benefits of renewable energy.
3. A fun one, especially during this season is to plant a tree and suggest it to your friends.
4. Teach your kids about the importance of maintaining our natural resources and biodiversity. They learn some of it at school, but it is our responsibility as parents that they learn and enact those practices at home.
5. Recycle, and encourage your neighbors and friends to do it, learning about what items are biodegradable, and those that are not.
6. When you see people littering our streets, parks, common and public areas —call them out!
7. Reduce your use of plastic bags as much as possible. By now you may have seen in social media a few posts to convince you about the large amount (thousands) of animals who will benefit.
8. Participate in one out of many social cleanup events. On this day multiple organizations get involved in cleaning up different abandoned areas, as a cause for example, that with the help of volunteers they can achieve a visible and worthy change in many ways.
9. Practice a sport. It will enhance your connection with nature at the same time you get in shape and improve your health.
10. Consider buying an electric car the next time you are out in the market for a new car. Not only it is fun, will make you look trendy but will also save you a couple of bucks in fuel, which is always a good idea.
Of course, these tips are not only for April 22 — we encourage you to renew your vows with Mother Earth, loving it every day. We are certain that one positive action on a daily basis from each of us, humans, will be seen and enjoyed not only by us alone, but our future generations.